Wednesday, October 22, 2008

danah boyd Keynote

I'm not sure what's up with the weird name capitalization, but her presentation this morning was really great.

A lot of this conference has been about specific technologies or addressing specific information needs, so it was good to hear more about the broader social context in which all of this stuff is operating. I particularly liked her metaphor that putting up a profile is similar to decorating a bedroom or locker - using various cultural artifacts to tell a story about who someone is.

I also had never considered how the fact that kids are much more constrained in their movements than they used to be would impact their need to be connected online. I was never one for hanging out at the mall much, but I can definitely see how if your social networks are really important to you that digital connection to them could be an important proxy for the times that you can't be together in physical space.

No comments:

Post a Comment