Wednesday, March 22, 2006

You want us to read what?

We're in the process of trying to select a new book to be read by the book group at my office and it strikes me while looking at the list of suggestions that I really don't like most of the fiction that's being published these days. So many of the plots descriptions sound like TV-movie-of-the-week type things and I have no desire to read about someone's moving struggle to overcome their family/health/career/existential obstacles while discovering something about themself/their loved ones/truth, justice and the American way.

Perhaps that explains my recent forays into non-fiction, something that I did not used to read a lot of. I'm sure it also has to do with the fact that in college almost all my reading was non-fiction textbooks which would explain my reluctance to use my ever valuable but perpetually scarce free reading time on more of the same. But now that the textbook factor is no longer an issue I'm finding a lot of non-fiction that I both enjoy and find informative. It's particularly good for reading on subways and busses since there's no plot to keep track of.

Of course the result of these changing tastes is that when I have to agree with others on a book to read it's very difficult. The only two on the current list of proposals that I'm at all interested in are the one I suggested (non-fiction of course) and a book I've already read but which is disqualified by virtue of being too recently released to be available in paperback. [I have a whole other rant about people who have some sort of issue with hardback books - yes they cost more but it's my money and if I don't want to wait for the paperback that's none of your business so stop giving me funny looks about it, okay?] I will inevitably read whatever is selected but that movie-of-the-week may come from the library instead of my nearest book store.

No comments:

Post a Comment